Old 20-01-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Flowers amongst my veggies

On 20/1/06 11:29, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 19/1/06 20:34, in article
, "Lettuce Pray"
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to have started a war or re-opened old
wounds:-)
Jonny

Don't worry about it. What most people here are concerned about is that you
get the right advice from people who know what they're talking about.
That's why I recommend the book "Roses Love Garlic" by Louise Riotte. Of
course, there are two schools of thoughts about companion planting - those
who think it helps to attract beneficial insects which then get rid of the
nasties and those who think it attracts the nasties in the first place!
But I saw an interesting example of a sort of companion planting use in
France, down in the Lot. We were taken round a vineyard by the owners of
the gîte we were renting and at the end of each row of vines was a rosebush.
Apparently, if the rose got botrytis it showed up on its leaves before those
of the vine and gave them time to treat the vines accordingly, before any
damage was done to them.
Louise Riotte also wrote Carrots Love Tomatoes and both get good reviews on
Amazon which is selling them together for a 'knockdown' price!

Sorry to follow up my own post but I've just remembered books I used to have
by Maureen & Bridget Boland which might interest a few people on urg. I
can't do better than give the Amazon synopsis:
"Book Description
GARDENER¹S MAGIC AND OTHER OLD WIVES¹ LORE is the sequel to the much loved
OLD WIVES¹ LORE FOR GARDENERS. An essential companion for all gardeners,
with its practical advice and solutions for anyone interested in healing,
magic, and the ways of nature.

Among many other facts, you will discover the magical or healing properties
of certain herbs and other plants; natural ways of protecting the garden not
only against pests and other physical troubles, but against malevolent luck
as well; potions, remedies and precautions for lovers; the importance to
gardeners of the phases of the moon; protection against spells and other
evils * and with these a wealth of practical old wives¹ lore on such arcane
but vital subjects as weather forecasting by means of leeches. The book also
contains a sovereign remedy for starting a motor mower!

No one can fail to be charmed by GARDENER¹S MAGIC AND OTHER OLD WIVES¹ LORE,
a book to cheer the soul and restore the spirit of any gardener.

Synopsis
Gardener's Magic and Other Old Wives' Lore is the companion volume to the
much loved Old Wives' Lore for Gardeners. In it will be found, among much
else, the magical or healing properties of certain herbs and other plants;
natural ways of protecting the garden not only against pests and other
physical troubles and the importance to gardeners of the phases of the moon.
It is a book to warm the heart, cheer the soul and restore the spirit of any
gardener."

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk