Old 20-01-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

Default Starting tomatoes (was May the Schwartz be with you......)

In article ,
kate wrote:

I agree about the 5 or 6 weeks before setting them out. (at 3 weeks
you'll think you're a month behind, but then they start growing really
fast)

"Better Boy" is a really good largish hybrid red tomato. "Principe
Borghese" is a great small tomato -- a little larger and beefier than
cherry tomatoes and perfect for dehydrating. Since you live in Central
Texas, you might look for "Porter" or "Improved Porter" (developed by
Porter and Sons seed company in Stephanville, TX) for a nice small
tomato that should do well regardless of the weather.

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys, Beefy
Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

I like the "meatiness" of Romas. Not tried those others.
I'll see what shows up around here.

I might put in one or two sweet 100's, simply because I have co-workers
that want them. G