Old 20-01-2006, 05:27 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Terminating a tree

On 2006-01-18, Craig Watts wrote:
We had 2 Bradford Pear Tree damaged by the ice storm of
December 2 years ago. One wants to grow back and we are
letting it. The other we want to terminate. We cut it level
with the ground and we want to plant other things there.

It keeps sending runners up from the roots. Any suggestions
on how to stop this thing from grow?

There are brush killers that will kill it. I had Roundup - Agricultural
strength not the ready to spray jug. I diluted it 1 part roundup to
about 3 parts water to take out some 20 year old redtips.

I used a half inch bit to drill multiple holes in the trunk and filled
each hole with the diluted roundup. For the pear, I would suggest
drilling 3/4 inch holes around the outer edge of the stump and doing the
same. I am not sure it would work now, it might work better when it
starts putting out shoots. Spraying the foilage of sprouts would
eventually work but the chemical has to go from the leaves to the roots
and with just sprouts this would take a lot of time. Drilling the holes
near the growing layer allows it to soak up the roundup and transfer it
to the roots. Getting it to the roots will ensure the surface roots
don't put up new shoots as well.

The good thing about roundup is if you accidentally spray foilage of
somehing you wanted to keep, then rinsing the roundup off saves it.
Thanks.

Craig

is a garbage address.