Old 20-01-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
zxcvbob

Default Starting tomatoes (was May the Schwartz be with you......)

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Cool! Thanks!
I need to look for Plum tomatoes. I LOVE those things!
Grow almost as prolific as sweet 100's but are more meaty IMHO.

I'd like to try Romas again this year as well.

I've not tried beefsteaks, ever, but mom and dad used to grow them in
California.

I agree about the 5 or 6 weeks before setting them out. (at 3 weeks
you'll think you're a month behind, but then they start growing really fast)

"Better Boy" is a really good largish hybrid red tomato. "Principe
Borghese" is a great small tomato -- a little larger and beefier than
cherry tomatoes and perfect for dehydrating. Since you live in Central
Texas, you might look for "Porter" or "Improved Porter" (developed by
Porter and Sons seed company in Stephanville, TX) for a nice small
tomato that should do well regardless of the weather.

I had excellent luck with Better Boys last year... I bought them in 6
packs at Lowe's. G

What is the best "starter" soil for tomato seeds?
Just plain Miracle Grow?

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

My tomatoes always get tall and spindly, but then I set them in post
holes (almost) with just the top few leaves sticking out.

How many aliases do you have? :-)

Bob