Old 24-02-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Hedge advice sought

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
I have recently moved into a house that has a small patio area at the

front
of it (15ft x 8ft). The previous owners had planned to put a hedge around
two sides of this area and have created a brick trough that stands about

two
feet high and and one foot wide.. There is nothing planted in there at the
moment but I would like to put a hedge in, that will eventually ideally be
about 6ft or so high.

I had initially thought about planting Leylandii and checked out the

section
in the urg faq. Would it grow ok in such a contained space, would the

small
space for roots restrict its growth and would it break out of the trench?

Or
should I try something else?

If you only want to screen the area, I would put up trellis and grow
climbing plants on it. The trellis provides an instant screen and the choice
of plants is much wider. However, as others have said, you need to know
whether it is a trough or simply two parallel walls, as a trough will be
likely to cause you problems.

Colin Bignell