Old 21-01-2006, 06:32 PM
miljee miljee is offline
Registered User

Question Convert a wheelie bin to a compost bin help!

I live in a rental property but wish to compost kitchen and some garden waste. I don't want to spend big money on a 'proper' compost bin (we will eventually be returning to Oz!) but we are in posession of a lidded plastic wheelie bin (orig. council issue). Can I convert this? My idea is to cut out the bottom and replace it with an old oven rack, cut out a 12" square hole at the front bottom and cover this with a wire hinged old oven rack (for compost access) and to park the whole thing against a wall over soil. Mainly I want to know- will this work and should I drill or nail holes all over the container for ventilation? Thanks.