Old 21-01-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT - links to black soot algae = Gill = pics

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy/alg1.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy/alg2/jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy/alg3.jpg

It's diatoms. Change more water.

=================================
I figured it probably was. I don't know if more water changes are
physically possible. I do 50% water changes twice a month on all my
tanks,
and have a lot of tanks to take care of. I guess I'll just have to live
with it.

Ever see what happens when you change that much water every day?

Yep, as I've done that in the past when I was younger and had less tanks.
Usually if there was some problem and I was treating the fish with something
demanding daily changes.

Try 50% once a week. For noew change 80% of the water every day for 2
days and it should jsut go away. Adding cloating plants should
help too.

But what will stop it from coming right back when I go back to twice a
month? I'm not sure what "cloating" plants are but this tank has a lot of
live plants that are fertilized weekly with Flourish or another aquarium
plant fertilizer.

If you had more light it would be green. Diatoms only grow where
green algae won't grow.

I suspected this may be a problem as these 55g tanks only have shop lights
with two 40w fluorescent bulbs over them. I may add another strip to this
one tank and see if that helps. There's just no way I can handle more
water changes indefinitely. The other 55 has the same amount of plants and
fish and yet it doesn't infest that tank.

Thanks for the advice. :-)
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952