Old 21-01-2006, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
les

Default Hellebores

Many thanks to Mike and others who reponded to my query.

Les

"Mike Roscoe" wrote in message
news
As the flowers of H. niger in particular, need some form of
protection at this time of the year, I would not remove any
healthy leaves as they are providing the flowers with cover.
As they mature, the flowers will grow through the leaves,
at least mine always do.
I wait until at least May or June before removing
any dead hellebore leaves, and then only when they have
turned brown and brittle.

M.R.

"les" asked in a message:
snip
Should I remove this healthy growth or should I just leave it and the
flower stems will grow above it?

Les