Old 22-01-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Default Question on pruning maple seedling

"Darryl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 18" maple seedling that I transplanted last summer from my
old
home to my new home. It's from a fantastic maple that covered the
entire back yard, & the seedling started naturally under my picnic
table. The original tree is about 40' tall. Zone 4.

However, it's a Y shaped seedling. My questions a

1) Do I let it continue to grow as a Y, or do I remove one of the
branches?

If it was mine, I'd take out one fork and stake the other to train it
as straight as possible. My next door neighbor had 1/2 of a 40 year
old maple come down this past summer with the Y about 4 feet above the
ground. That is now one ragged looking tree.

Tom J