Old 21-01-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Convert a wheelie bin to a compost bin help!

PammyT wrote:
"miljee" wrote in message

I live in a rental property but wish to compost kitchen and some
garden waste. I don't want to spend big money on a 'proper'

compost
bin (we will eventually be returning to Oz!) but we are in

posession
of a lidded plastic wheelie bin (orig. council issue). Can I

convert
this? My idea is to cut out the bottom and replace it with an old
oven rack, cut out a 12" square hole at the front bottom and cover
this with a wire hinged old oven rack (for compost access) and to
park the whole thing against a wall over soil. Mainly I want to
know- will this work and should I drill or nail holes all over the
container for ventilation? Thanks.

--
miljee

Won't you get into trouble with the council? Why not build one

from
4 old pallets nailed together.

I'd be inclined to vandalise the bin big-time. Saw off (an ordinary
panel saw does plastic containers perfectly) and chuck away (not in
the Council bin!) bottom and wheels; set on bare earth; forget about
cute little doorway -- they're plain pointless. I'm not a fan,
though: these plastic bins make it impossible to turn the compost,
and they don't let in enough air for my taste. So you're right to
want to bore ventilation holes all over the thing; they want to be at
least an inch in diameter, as smaller ones will just clog up. This
may be unrealistic. It'll work without, of course, but it'll be
slower and could be smellier.

To make it easier to get at the compost, you could also remove the
lid, and turn the whole thing upside-down. You could use the lid on
the other end if you like, weighed down with a couple of bricks.

Having said all that, I actually agree with Pammy: unfair to the
local taxpayers, and a traditional compost enclosure will work
better -- and may even look better.

OT: I once read that somebody had found a London Borough wheelie-bin
floating disconsolately in the Sea of Galilee. I'd love to know why:
as another Aussie, I refuse to believe it was dumped by a
homeward-bound compatriot.

--
Mike.