Old 21-01-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default growing eddoes

On 21/1/06 18:44, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Ford Prefect wrote:

Anyone out there ever grown these aroids?

I've got a clump growing in the garden!

I found some for sale in a
local ethnic supermarket (along with some others that looked similar)
and thought I'd give it a go.

Buy plenty, the growing plants cost a lot of money if you get them
from an exotics nursery. I just wish shops were more 'ethnic' here in
the South West A couple of quid for a kilo of tubers is far better
than 5 or 6 for a single plant!

When is the best time to plant (they'll be pot grown).
I'm in the South UK and they will be grown in an East facing
conservatory.

'Eddoe' when properly applied is Colocasia antiquorum, a very
attractive foliage plant with impressive shield like,
softly-crystaline textured, deep green leaves to 30cms. long held on
80cms high, stalks that are invariably purple flushed. snip

This is the plant the tubers of which make the stuff called 'poi' in
Hawaii?? When we were there, we tried it - close relation of wallpaper
paste. But it's a truly handsome plant, I agree - the leaves are something
quite exceptional.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk