Old 21-01-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Convert a wheelie bin to a compost bin help!

"miljee" wrote in message

I live in a rental property but wish to compost kitchen and some garden
waste. I don't want to spend big money on a 'proper' compost bin (we
will eventually be returning to Oz!) but we are in posession of a
lidded plastic wheelie bin (orig. council issue). Can I convert this?
My idea is to cut out the bottom and replace it with an old oven rack,
cut out a 12" square hole at the front bottom and cover this with a
wire hinged old oven rack (for compost access) and to park the whole
thing against a wall over soil. Mainly I want to know- will this work
and should I drill or nail holes all over the container for
ventilation? Thanks.

What are you going to put your rubbish in when you have stolen the
wheeliebin?

Alan

--
miljee