Old 22-01-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

Default Copper Rings to Deter Slugs and Snails

In message , M
wrote
Last year the snails did their worst and I want to protect my garden this
year. I have heard that copper repels snails so placing copper rings around
plants should deter then. The cheapest I can find them is
http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/Prod...product=572855
6 small for £13.25. At that price they are not an option. Is there
anywhere you can buy copper strip and make your own? I am aware that copper
is expensive but I hadn't expected it cost this much!

Does it need to be that size or can it be made from copper wire - strip
the insulation from a piece of mains wiring (the one with the solid
cores and not the flexible type wire)

I suspect that if it does work a good connection with the earth is
required so the two ends will have to be well pushed into the soil and
perhaps an intermediate stake, also made from wire, will be required.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com