Old 24-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Seed potatoes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message

Potato seed have been available for some time now. They can be bought at
garden centres, nurseries, DIY stores etc. and they can be mail-ordered
from catalogues or websites. Planting can begin as soon as the tubers
are chitted up - i.e. they have fresh growth shoots showing on them, and
as soon as suitable conditions can be provided for them in terms of
temperature and growing medium. For outside growing in most parts of UK,
mid-April is early enough to be sure that the plants will not suffer
from frost when they show above the ground.

In the past I've always put the tubers on the kitchen windowcill to sprout,
but this year the windowcill has been taken up with other things, can I put
them in the greenhouse to sprout, and do I need to watch out for frosts?

Alan