Old 22-01-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Default Shoul I be feeding my fish?

Like many, we in NJ are experiencing Sprinter! The season when the calendar
says Winter but the temp outside is Spring. We're having 60 degrees outside
for the past 5-6 days and my pond fish seem quite active. I know the books
say don't feed them but I can't help wondering if I should drop a few
pellets of wheat food in the pond. I can't find my thermometer (hid it real
good this time!) so I'm not sure what water temp is. I have two heaters in
the ponds so they were open and the stream was flowing even during our cold
snaps where standing water froze.
Any comments?
Tom in Howell, NJ

Don't feed. Fish may be active, but the bacteria in the filter isn't.

Only way around this is to feed, check water quality a couple hours later,
and/or add an Amquel-type product just in case you spike the ammonia. Keep
in mind, our hobbyist's kits aren't that sensitive. So there will be some
unreadable ammonia in the water at all times, and feeding them will also
bring that number up.

If you have algae growing on the sides, the fish have plenty to munch on
during Sprinter (great name, btw). ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website