Old 23-01-2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default Award Registration BY AOS

Kenni,

I don't know which Judging Center has jurisdiction in the area where the
plants were awarded. There are three Judging centers in Florida. Lucky
you.

Florida-Caribbean Center has a Miami address.
Florida North Central Center has a Jacksonville address
Orlando has an Orange Park address.

They all have Judging Center Chair names and contact info, phone numbers
email addresses, etc. I found a list in the back of Awards Quarterly. It
is also published in Orchids Magazine every month (or it used to be). I
also found a list online at aos.org

Here is a link to a pdf file that the AOS says contains the most current
contact info. I would contact the judging chair of the Center closest to
wherever the plants were awarded.
http://aos.org/aos/judging/documents...lendar_002.pdf

I do fries and I slice beef. I also deep fry chicken in a special secret
batter known only to Roy Rogers and as far as I know he took it to his
grave. If he ever told Trigger or Dale Evans the secret batter ingredients,
they never talked, at least not to me. Trigger never did like me much
anyway after I..... but that incident is best forgotten.

Happy Trails.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
K -- You are either missing the point, or deliberately evading the
question. Registering with RHS is really EASY, it even takes plastic [no
need to wait for cheques to clear].

What the exhibitor who receives a provisional AOS award REALLY needs to
know is: Once I get my registration back from RHS, what do I do THEN?
WHO do I need to notify that the registration form is back, and HOW do I
contact that person? [Presumably, that person will be able to get the
exhibitor through the rest of the process. If not, that info should also
be included in the instructions I'm asking for.] IF any of that info is
on the AOS website, I couldn't find it.

My Van. [Rhv.] Ocean Storm 'Juno Beach' HCC/AOS received its provisional
award at the Delray Beach OS show, last weekend of October 2004 (as Rhv.
Thailand x V. tessellata). The grex was registered with RHS on
11/8/2004 -- within 2 weeks. The progress stopped altogether at that
point, till October 2005, when I started blindly asking around, of anyone
who might know what needed to happen next, and finally got to Pam Guist,
who directed me to someone else, who then forwarded the whole thing to yet
another person. Pam Guist finally sent me a bill on 12/23/05, which I
paid immediately, she acknowledged receiving the payment 1/4/06, claiming
that the award certificate would be mailed during the week of 1/9. I
don't have it yet.

Ctph. [Smbcna.] Garnet Glory was provisionally awarded on the fourth
Saturday in June 2001 (as Ctna. Why Not x Schomb. thomsoniana); registered
with RHS July 17, 2001 -- within 3 weeks. Same story, nothing happened on
AOS' part till I started asking around months later, again blindly, and
was finally pointed to the right person to get it moving. At this late
date, I don't remember exactly when I finally got the award certificate,
but it was no earlier than June 2002, I think more like August or
September.

Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
You don't have to send anything anywhere. To quote Glinda the Good Witch,
You've had the power all along. The instructions for a CBR/CHM is on the
AOS webpage, as is the list of AOS appoved taxonomists and the
instructions on getting an unnamed hybrid registered. You have to follow
the links on the AOS homepage to the RHS webpage for their form for
registering a cross. All it takes is a little dedication on your part.

K Barrett

Lady Blacksword wrote:
I know a judge for North Carolina...send it on to me too.
Murri

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:04:25 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:
.... clip..........

It's the info on the AOS process that seems to be a closely-guarded
secret.
It's been different both times I tried to get an award registered, but
in
each case, it's been extremely onerous compared to the RHS registration
process. Each has taken numerous follow-up calls and/or email messages
on
my part, and taken more than a year. Written instructions would be at
least
a start on remedying this problem. If you write them up, I want a copy
for
myself and I think I can make sure they are given out at the WPB
judging
center [which happens to be AOS HQ]. You'll take care of it in your
area,
maybe K will do it in hers, and the rest of the country will have to
fend
for itself G. Kenni