Old 23-01-2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
Cracklin'

Default Lotus seed germination

"S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi ponders!

I have finally succeeded germinating lotus seeds indoors. (I used
rain water + 200 W aquarium heater (90 F) and an airstone to keep the
water moving).

However, I need to help the seedlings get strong for the next 3-4
months indoors.

They will do better and grow faster outside in the sun and air. Wait until
the temps are in the 70s.

What fertilizers can I use?

Plant them in a good rich potting soil to start them off. One of my
favorites is chipped Jobe's Rose spikes. Don't over fertilize them or you
can burn the roots and kill them.

When is it appropriate to
fertlize the seedlings? What NPK formula should I use. My primary
goal is aid the growth of tubers and runners while they are indoors.
Suggestions appreciated!

I hope you mean in a *greenhouse* or sunny south window.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952