Old 23-01-2006, 05:49 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Lotus seed germination

"S" wrote:
Hi ponders!

I have finally succeeded germinating lotus seeds indoors. (I used
rain water + 200 W aquarium heater (90 F) and an airstone to keep the
water moving).

However, I need to help the seedlings get strong for the next 3-4
months indoors. What fertilizers can I use? When is it appropriate to
fertlize the seedlings? What NPK formula should I use. My primary
goal is aid the growth of tubers and runners while they are indoors.
Suggestions appreciated!

You might find the information here helpful:

http://www.earthcare.com.au/lotus.htm

I use unscented, untreated Kitty Litter (Bentonite clay)and a little
aquarium sand, mixed with slow release fertizer pellets (not too many - add
more every few months, working them into the top few inches so the fish
don't eat them) and the lotuses and water lillies thrive in it. HTH

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families: