Old 23-01-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default (Koi-lo) - more vortex DE filter discussion...

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I think what happens
in this case is there is dissolved gas in the (usually new tapwater?)
that you charge the diatom with. What you add diatom powder and let it run
some of the gas comes out of solution in the filter pleats. Diatom powder
can't cover tha hole and eventually the bubble dissolves back into
solution leaving a hole in the powder coating.

a very possible and likely explanation - I'm happy to bust the x-file with
that !!! :-)

I stumbled by accident on truning the filter off, letting all the
powder start to settle then turning it back on. This seems to dislodge
all the bubbles. What works too is to use aquarium, not fresh tap water
when charging the filter. it contains less dissolved gasas.

yep - i have only ever charged with aquarium water - but my co2 injection
prolly causes enough gas to be dissolved into solution to give the above
effect - and now that I think of it - I just might have had my gas off for
at least a few days prior to my 3rd charge - (was getting desperate - I
thought no fertilizer & no co2 might help algae to die off) - no co2
dissolved in solution = uniform coating of DE powder on bag - your theory is
seeming more & more probable by the minute !! ;-D

So, this does seem to help avoid the "cloudies" when no matter what you
do you seem to have a file layer of diatom powder in your tank. Keep in
mind though you should NEVER turn the filter off and on or try to charge
it in the tank itself. use a one gallon jar.

???
Never turn the filter off ??
you've lost me... u said u turn it off momentarily to cure ur bubble on bag
problem - and now ur saying to never turn it off ?
huh ?

For tanks bigger than 30 gals you probbaly need
an XL. The D1 just takes too long above that size. It'll work to be sure
but how much time (or how many tanks) ya got?

I've just got a single 55 gal tank.
Cheers.