Old 20-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Sacha

Default Sarcococca again

Pam Moore wrote in message . ..
On 19 Feb 2003 11:22:29 -0800, (Sacha)
wrote:

But what sort of height are the respective plants?
We're selling them in one litre pots for £3.50 and they're probably
about 12 to 18" high and quite sturdy.

Touche Sacha! Yours are sure to be much better value. These were
only about 8 inches high but in 1 litre pot and quite bushy. I jet
compared the value of these to the garden centre wimps!
However the petrol to get to your wonderful nursery, even if I could
drive there, which I personally cannot, would oush the price up a bit.
Now I am advertising for Sacha's wonderful Hill House Nursery.

Very kind of you, Pam ;-) But one of the reasons we keep our prices
low is that we really do only sell plants and the odd terracotta pot
or bird table. We don't do pots of jam, racks and racks of cards,
veg., plastic windmills etc. etc. and the bulk of the work is done by
Ray and Matthew with 3 full time helpers and 3 part-time in the busy
season. Ray & Matt also have the philosophy that as we are in the
depths of the countryside and people are naturally lazy, keeping
prices truly reasonable encourages new and a load of repeat business
which might otherwise go to more expensive but more 'immediate'
drop-in type places. It always breaks my heart when I see people
buying weedy primulas, for example, at the supermarkets when ours big,
bold, beautiful and cheaper!! There is the other factor which is
that this is all part of our home - there is no massively expensive
and glitzy 'retail outlet', just a few greenhouses and polytunnels, so
there hasn't been a million pound loan to pay back! Rumours around
the trade are that a few of the bigger boys who have done that are
struggling, so for us it's better to sleep at night. ;-) But it *is*
extremely hard work and all weather, all year round, too. In March
and April when he's making up hanging baskets, Matthew's working day
starts at around 7.30am and ends when the light fades!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk