Old 23-01-2006, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Rhubarb-Never flowered.

In article ,
Brian --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:
Thirty years ago I bought seed from T&M~~ Champagne
perpetual~IMMSMC! I grew a row of thirty crowns which varied tremendously
but were ideal for my needs. They have now all been discarded {a fresh
garden has been made} but in all those thirty years not one ever produced a
flower. I have no explanation. With unlimited fym and seaweed, overfeeding
is a possible explanation but highly unlikely.
Non flowering cannot have been part of their heritage!! So
what~~~~~~???

There are many plants that never flower in the UK, because it is
quite common for flowering to be triggered by different conditions
than are needed for growth. Almost all of our food crops originate
from places further south (as most places further north are
subarctic), and so miss the sun, heat, drought or suffer from the
winter conditions.

In fact, it is quite common for plants to flower (and fruit) near
Cambridge where they don't on the south coast, because we get a
slightly more continental climate. Danae racemosa is one - Bean
says that it rarely fruits, but it does so reliably with me, and
even self-seeds (though the seedlings have never established yet).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.