Old 23-01-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Rhubarb-Never flowered.

The message
from Tim C. contains these words:

Following up to "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond :

Thirty years ago I bought seed from T&M~~ Champagne
perpetual~IMMSMC! I grew a row of thirty crowns which varied tremendously
but were ideal for my needs. They have now all been discarded {a fresh
garden has been made} but in all those thirty years not one ever produced a
flower. I have no explanation. With unlimited fym and seaweed,
overfeeding
is a possible explanation but highly unlikely.
Non flowering cannot have been part of their heritage!! So
what~~~~~~???
Best Wishes Brian.

Where I live in northern Austria, my rhubarb has flowered reliably and
regularly throughout the season for the last 3 years out of the 4 that
it's been in the ground. Maybe it's the climate and/or variety combination.
I cut the flowering stalks off as soon as I see them.

Some plants require a winter chill or spell of darkness to trigger
flowering. So they may flower well in the dark north but very rarely in
the warmer lighter south.

Janet

Janet