Old 23-01-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

Default Family Contest

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:31:15 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Grow stuff that is easy,
pay attention to weeds and bugs,
don't over-water,
Watch what and how you "feed" them.
don't over-crowd!!!

That last one is easy to do. ;-)

There is something you really can overcrowd and get excellent
results...bush beans. I plant them in flower pots. Nothing too big,
just any pots I have around. Most no larger than 8," a few smaller
and a few larger, but those larger ones are generally bulb pots & so
are more shallow.

I have 6-8 plants per pot. I know that sounds absurd, but I have done
this for over a decade. I line the pots up on the rail of my deck.
They are planted in compost enriched soil with some Osmocote. The only
concern is water. Once they are flowering and fruiting, they need to
be watered twice a day in the heat. I get great yields and they keep
going as long as I keep picking.

This is not the sort of idea that works with corn. g

Boron