Old 23-01-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Shoul I be feeding my fish?

my pond is 52-54oF and I have a heater and it is covered so temps move slowly up and
down. without heat and cover my koi would go 6 months with no food. so with the
heat and cover I feed them a reduced amount and every 3-4 days, regular high quality
food. they are eager to eat. I have a seachem ammonia alert in the water to make
sure nothing is building up. my UV is shut off and the water gets a little greenish.
I will continue to feed em as long as they want to eat. this is the 3rd year I have
done this with all of them doing great. they even survived a dead dove in the tank 2
years now. damn doves squeeze thru the smallest spaces!! as long as temps are well
regulated I think feeding is a good idea.
bread has no nutritional value. chopped human quality shrimp would be better. pure
great food. Ingrid

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
I know the books say don't feed them but I can't help wondering if I
should drop a few pellets of wheat food in the pond. I can't find my
thermometer (hid it real good this time!) so I'm not sure what water temp
is. I have two heaters in the ponds so they were open and the stream was
flowing even during our cold snaps where standing water froze.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE