Old 24-01-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Phal refuses to not-spike

Tony, a few more facts that might persuade you that it's not a simple
environmental factor perhaps:

I don't grow in Pennsylvania! :-) My orchids grow in a shaded eastern window
and another unshaded northern window with supplemental grow lights, in a
condo that keeps amazing me by its level of humidity even with the heat on
(still in the 40% or more often enough, which compared to my old place is
amazingly good for wintertime). The temperature differences have been quite
good, and right now I have more Phals in spike than ever before (19 of them
are currently in spike and 9 are in bloom right now).

I have now a total of 34 Phals. Of those 28 have successfully respiked for
me at some point or another. Of the remaining 6, 4 have not been with me
long enough for the lack of respiking to mean anything and one of them is a
seedling so it wouldn't flower yet anyway, and of the other two one seems to
be recovering from a near-death experience so I wouldn't expect it to
reflower until/unless it gets much better, and the the last of these is the
afore-mentioned 19 to 20 leaf Dtps that is refusing to put out spike. 5 of
my 34 Phals have only 3 or fewer leaves, 5 others have 10 or more leaves,
the rest are somewhere in the 4 to 9 leaves spectrum. The ones with the 3 or
fewer leaves I am not too happy to see in spike since I doubt their ability
to support the energy required for blooming.

That's it in summary. And that's just the Phals so not counting the 15
orchids that are not Phal/Dtps.

Joanna
(who is surprised that she can keep track of all these orchids with the baby
but somehow it all works out -- one has to have one's priorities after all,
so 1) baby and husband 2) orchids 3) everything else (that last category, I
may or may not get to))

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Tony,
Most of my Phals are doing very well in the same room by the same window,
and are growing leaves without any trouble whatsoever. It's definitely not
the temperature difference. The Dtps that is not reflowering is a
summer-flowering one that is close to Doritis in heritage, but I have
another that is actually a sibling of this one that is reflowering like
clockwork every summer. So how would environment account for one plant in
the same room flowering every year and producing only a moderate number of
leaves, whereas it's sister plant being this very leafy non-reflowering
plant? Unless it's a matter of micro-climates close to the individual
plants, but I tend to move plants that don't do well over a period of time
to another location eventually, and these particular orchids have been
pretty constant in their behavior no matter where I put them.
Joanna

"emntee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

It seem there is a contradiction here. It seems to me that if one plant
is not growing any further leaves, then the others shouldn't be growing
new leaves either. 20 leaves on a Phal is great, but I would be
inclined to look further into how you are trying to grow them. There
must be some cultural problem here that we cannot see. I would suspect
that you do not have enough of a temperature variation, but without
further info, this is just a guess.

I live in Western Australia and last year at an orchid show, an
American lady asked me for some advice. She said "My Phailianopsis
refuses to rebloom" I asked her where she was growing it and she said
"Pennsylvania". Which wasn't quite what I meant.

It turned out that she was attempting to grow her 'Phailianopsis' in an
apartment with central heating. Constant teperature = no flowers.

Tony