Old 24-01-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Suzy O

Default ID house plants please

"DK1000" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have 3 (maybe 4 as 2 look kinda but not completely similar) different
houseplants that were here when I bought the house a year and a half ago, so
I kept them as I had no plants otherwise. They seem to be "keeping their
own", not dead, but not spectacular growing either, but maybe because I
never put them in bigger pots and it's winter? Here they a

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant1.jpg

This is a pothos, sometimes called devil's ivy, tho not an ivy or philodendron. It likes a bright room, but not hot direct sun. Watering: let the pot go about 1/4 dry before watering, but then soak it till the soil can't hold any more water. It "could" be a golden pothos, but I think that one yellow leaf is about to fall of, and isn't consistent with the rest of the leaves.

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant2.jpg

3 plants here. A fern -- could be Boston fern; a palm, and a variegated dracena. All like a bright location, but hot hot direct sun -- good office plants, btw. Average water requirements -- let go 1/2 to 1/3 dry before soaking down.

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/Plant3.jpg

Another dracena, I think. But without seeing the stem, I can't tell if it's a corn plant or dracena, but am more inclinded to think dracena.

I'm sure they're common, but I'm dumb when it comes to houseplants.

Don't think you're "dumb."
No one was born knowing about plants and their care.
If I
know what they are, I can look up how to take care of them, or if they're
even worth keeping.

If you like them, they're worth keeping. Plant selection is simply a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps!
Suzy O, Wisconsin Zone 5
The one of 2 in the basket on the right in picture 2
kind of looks like what's growing in the pot to the left of it, but looks
different to me too. There's another one in that basket which is better seen
in picture 3. I have the plants in my windows, here in Cleveland, Ohio.
Thanks much.