Old 24-01-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default polyphosphate blue-green algae

Steve wrote:

Following up on Richard Sexton's suggestion by google searches, I found
that 10:1 N:P should inhibit BGA. Here's a reference:
http://www.nalms.org/lakeline/pdf/ll21-1_smith.pdf . 20 to 30 ppm
nitrate should give me N:P 10, considering the amount of phosphate
reported by the city.

Thanks Richard!
Steve

No ratio will ever limit or help an algae in a planted tank, the issue
is not the ratio, the issue is limitation or toxicity, one or the
other.

Ratios have not show to be critical in agricultural research generally.
Limitation? Most definitely.

7:1 ratio is better if you want to use a ratio concept.
The issue he you had everything but the N.

The ratio can be 20:1(say 20ppm N and 1ppm P) or 5:1 N:P(5ppm N and 1
ppm P), plants will still grow fine.

This ratios are not critical, limiting levels are.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr