Old 24-01-2006, 04:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Siouxzi

Default Planting figs and muscadines

Hi all,
Just thought I'd share this information, in case anyone else is
craving their very own fig tree and/or muscadine vines. I've already
got one Brown Turkey fig tree in my yard and it's been growing like
crazy, but doesn't produce all that much, and the figs are small. I
got it from Broadwell's. I cut that one way back and will lime like
crazy, per advice from Paradise Nursery. Speaking of which...

I've ordered several different kinds of figs and a muscadine grapevine
from Paradise Nursery up in Virginia Beach.
http://www.paradisenursery.com/info.html

They will be sent to me when they're closer to being ready to plant
for my zone. I have every confidence they'll be wonderful, judging
from the very useful web site they've got, and the very helpful advice
and tips that I've been getting from the owners by email. Sybil and
her husband Rob are great.

I adore fresh figs, and the trees are truly beautiful to look
at--smooth, thick trunk and branches and big tropical-looking leaves.
I am excited about planting a traditional Celeste, and couple
varieties of large green figs--I enjoyed these when I lived in the
Mediterranean, and I'm hoping that these will have the same fantastic
flavor and texture. I also am nuts about those big black muscadines,
and am ripping out the sour scuppernongs I have now to make way for
the vine I've ordered. Yum.

Just thought I'd share info about Paradise Nursery. I've got no stake
in the company or its business, but when I get extra special service,
I like to spread the word, and help such rare family businesses to
stay in business. Tell Sybil that Sue sent ya...

Cheers
Sue