Old 24-01-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Cauliflowers

The message
from Pushkin contains these words:

As new vegetable gardeners my husband and I decided to grow beans,
sprouts and winter cauliflowers. We had a successful crop of
everything except cauliflowers. They grew plenty of leaves but not one
flower. In the Autumn my husband cut back the larger leaves on the
outside of the plants thinking that this would enable the flower to
grow.

I should be grateful for any help/advice etc.

Many thanks.

Pushkin.

Most 'winter' cauliflowers actually mature in spring. I grow Jerome
which comes to a head in May. I don't know of any which mature before
February. When they do produce a head it happens quite quickly.

I certainly wouldn't give up yet. Do you know which variety you have?

Janet G