Old 24-01-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ford Prefect

Default growing eddoes

Thankyou all for the replies, there were a number of diffrent sized
tubers all looking roughly the same (hairy yams) I'll give them a go
towards the end of next month, as to what I can grow in my
conservatory you'd be supprised, as Dave said looking at the price of
nursery plants it's got to be worth a try.
I'll probably start them off alongside my baby Amorphallus titanum
plants and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Ford.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:13:57 -0000, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from Ford Prefect contains these words:

Anyone out there ever grown these aroids? found some for sale in a
local ethnic supermarket (along with some others that looked similar)
and thought I'd give it a go.

No, and the name covers a range of tubers from different plants.

When is the best time to plant (they'll be pot grown).
I'm in the South UK and they will be grown in an East facing
conservatory.

I would expect them to require more light and heat than an east-facing
conservatory could provide. But give them a try. I'd plant them in pots
in a polythene tent with a small heater under it - say a 60 watt bulb.

Better, you could start them in an old refrigerator with a suitable bulb
in it - you'd have to find the wattage by trial and error. (I made an
incubator which took 1,000 hens' eggs from an old refrigerator. It had
two 60 watt bulbs, though it only required one - the other was a
failsafe. It did have a thermostat though.)