Old 24-01-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Default Cauliflowers

Pushkin wrote:

As new vegetable gardeners my husband and I decided to grow beans,
sprouts and winter cauliflowers. We had a successful crop of
everything except cauliflowers. They grew plenty of leaves but not one
flower. In the Autumn my husband cut back the larger leaves on the
outside of the plants thinking that this would enable the flower to
grow.

I should be grateful for any help/advice etc.

Are you sure they were winter varieties and not winter hardy
early spring/spring varieties?

Most caulis I've grown head either in summer/autumn or from March onwards
after having stood all winter (spring varieties).

Indeed, if they fail to head, you can leave them in the ground and they
will head next at the next appropriate time for their variety.

Spring caulis are great - much much reduced chance of embedded
caterpillars :-)