Old 24-01-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Cauliflowers

"Pushkin" wrote

As new vegetable gardeners my husband and I decided to grow beans,
sprouts and winter cauliflowers. We had a successful crop of
everything except cauliflowers. They grew plenty of leaves but not one
flower. In the Autumn my husband cut back the larger leaves on the
outside of the plants thinking that this would enable the flower to
grow.

I should be grateful for any help/advice etc.

He really has caused a problem for the plants, they need those big leaves to
provide food during the winter months of low light and to protect the curd
as it grows. Indeed it's those big leaves that we bend over the curds as
they grow to keep them nice and white. I suspect yours will either be late
or very small curds.
Also depends on variety, what was it?
We grow "winter" ,actually spring, Cauliflowers "Walcheren Winter Armardo
April" and they won't be curding up yet as they come to curd in April as the
name suggests. Over the years we have come to believe the winter ones are
the easiest to grow not least because they will be clean of pests (meat)
without any spraying.
You can always tell when Cauliflowers are about to start curding, it's when
those big leaves at the top start to twist round.

--
Regards
Bob