Old 24-01-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control?

Nitrogen leaching, runoff and pollution........

.......and a cockadoodie to you too, Mister Man!!!!!

"Lauren" wrote in message

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:30:24 -0800, rw wrote:

Good day Ryan, I have not personally used the above product (could they
of
gotten a better name..?), but I am familiar with the use of corn gluten
meal as a pre-emergent. The short answer is yes.... it does work. The
long
answer is it may not be the cheapest route to go though..........
..........Application rates will be much higher than one would expect for
satisfactory results. The Cockadoodle DOO company (O' how it pains me to
type that name!!) recommends 100 pounds per 5000 square feet. That's a
lot
of corn meal.......... the corn meal does offer a small fertilization at
the same time.

Small fertilization?????? Corn gluten is between 9 and 11 prcent
nitrogen! It takes 50 to 100 pounds of corn gluten per 1,000 (not 5,000)
square feet to obtain any effective weed control. That means you get 4.5
to 11 pounds of nitrogen on your lawn in one application! Not good at
all! The average home lawn of fescue, bluegrass or ryegrass requires only
2 to 4 lbs. of nitrogen in an entire year, and most of that should be
applied in the fall. Even if applied to bermuda or zoysia, it's still
extremely excessive. Can you say "nitrogen leaching, runoff and
pollution"?