Old 20-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Essjay001

Default Sycamore by any other name

"Warwick" wrote in message
news:MPG.18b8e686ff68d9f49897ed@lateinos...
While in Japan on holiday in October, I wandered under some of the micer
looking Acers and picked up seeds.

These have been subjected to the British winter as experienced by a seed
sitting in a car glove compartment since.

I'm thinking that it'll be soon time to subject them to the warmer
climes of the greenhouse.

Any suggestions?

Warwick

If you had taken a little time to research the pro's and cons of bringing
seeds in from outside this country you would have gained this response from
DEFRA and saved all the uninformed posting (including mine) and got down to
business. Hope this helps!

""""""""""""""
There are no restrictions on the import of Acer seeds in to the UK as there
is considered to be no plant health risk associated with them - indeed there
are very few seeds which are regarded as a risk and so must be certified. It
would be a different matter for plants (or cuttings of Acer saccharum),
which would require a phytosanitary certificate.

If you need any more information, please contact me.

Regards,

Nathan McWhinnie
Service Delivery Unit
Plant Health Division
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Rm. 340, Foss House, King's Pool, 1-2 Peasholme Green, York, YO1 7PX
Tel: (44) (0)1904 455192 (GTN 5137 5192)
Fax: (44) (0)1904 455199 (GTN 5137 5199)
E-mail:

---