Old 25-01-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora

Default potatoes

In article
,
"tillerman" wrote:

I'm gonna plant them again this year. I've had problems in years past with
the seed potatoes rotting in the ground instead of growing. I've heard this
can be prevented by treating or dusting the seed taters with something
first,
I've heard that wood ashes or sulfur will work. Any other ideas?

Are you planting too early, when your soil is still too wet and cold?

BTW, I always cut my seed spuds, so each piece has 3 eyes or so, then
let them sit for a few days to callus-over, then plant.

Be sure to rotate your spud bed -- don't grow them in the same ground
every year. And don't plant them following tomatoes in the same bed.
(Spuds and 'maters are related, so they're prone to the same diseases.)

Jan, in Alaska
USDA Zone 3 or so

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.