Old 25-01-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

Default Experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:55:43 -0500, Lauren wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:30:24 -0800, rw wrote:

Good day Ryan, I have not personally used the above product (could they
of gotten a better name..?), but I am familiar with the use of corn
gluten meal as a pre-emergent. The short answer is yes.... it does
work. The long answer is it may not be the cheapest route to go
though.......... ..........Application rates will be much higher than
one would expect for satisfactory results. The Cockadoodle DOO company
(O' how it pains me to type that name!!) recommends 100 pounds per 5000
square feet. That's a lot of corn meal.......... the corn meal does
offer a small fertilization at the same time.

Small fertilization?????? Corn gluten is between 9 and 11 prcent
nitrogen! It takes 50 to 100 pounds of corn gluten per 1,000 (not 5,000)
square feet to obtain any effective weed control. That means you get
4.5 to 11 pounds of nitrogen on your lawn in one application! Not good
at all! The average home lawn of fescue, bluegrass or ryegrass requires
only 2 to 4 lbs. of nitrogen in an entire year, and most of that should
be applied in the fall. Even if applied to bermuda or zoysia, it's still
extremely excessive. Can you say "nitrogen leaching, runoff and
pollution"?

Your numbers are just wrong. The 100 pounds per 5000 square comes from (O'
gawd that name!!) Cockadoodle DOO's info page. They sell it... I would
take their word for it. There are other fact sheets that suggest the
application of 20 pounds per 1000.... which comes out to (hold on to your
shorts now) 100 pounds per 5000 square feet.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...lutenmeal.html

At 10% Nitrogen, that's 2 pounds of pure N per 1000 square feet. With 2
applications per year that would be 4 pounds of N per 1000 square feet per
year or the recommended ammount.

My statement about a small amount of fertilization was a mis-statement.
For some reason I had 2.5%to 5% N stuck in my head. Had mixed up corn meal
with alfalfa meal I'm sure. Either way, my recommended application is
right and it will not cause nitrogen leaching, runoff and or pollution.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com