Old 25-01-2006, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Default Rhubarb-Never flowered.

Following up to Rusty Hinge 2 :

The message
from Tim C. contains these words:

Where I live in northern Austria, my rhubarb has flowered reliably and
regularly throughout the season for the last 3 years out of the 4 that
it's been in the ground. Maybe it's the climate and/or variety combination.
I cut the flowering stalks off as soon as I see them.

I'd feed them well, and keep them in almost marsh conditions, and then
you shouldn't see flower stalks at all, even in austria, I'd have
thought.

I try, but it's a bit tricky in the Summer sometimes. I'll try harder this
year. I admit I hardly ever watered it, so it could be improved on.
I was wondering if it was just the variety (I've no idea what it is) or if
it was the conditions it's in. At the moment it's under a big clay
flowerpot which is under 2 feet of rock hard snow at -17C.
--
Tim C.