Old 25-01-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default How do I train a Bay tree ??

In article ,
bigsteve wrote:
How do I train a Bay tree to give me a 3 balled standard, that is
approx 1m tall.

Let it grow upwards to the desired height, trimming lower side branches
as it goes. Then cut out the growing shoot(s) a bit lower down, let
it bush out and clip as for a formal hedge. Secateurs and removing
whole leaves is neater than using shears.

How long would I have to wait ??

Starting from when? Bay takes a little time to get going, but then
can grow quite fast. 5-10 years, depending. Starting from a plant
roughly the right height with growth near the top, even less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.