Old 25-01-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Default Rhubarb-Never flowered.

Following up to Rusty Hinge 2 :

The message
from Tim C. contains these words:

I try, but it's a bit tricky in the Summer sometimes. I'll try harder this
year. I admit I hardly ever watered it, so it could be improved on.
I was wondering if it was just the variety (I've no idea what it is) or if
it was the conditions it's in. At the moment it's under a big clay
flowerpot which is under 2 feet of rock hard snow at -17C.

Likely to be conditions. Modern varieties of rhubarb have been
selectively bred to flower infrequently.

Could be the cold winters, but I'd guess it's lack of water. Rhubarb's
natural habitat is damp places.

I didn't know that. I've been looking for an excuse to run a fixed hose
line to the veggie patch... :-)
--
Tim C.