Old 25-01-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Default Family Contest

then, if you are there, here is my advice.

1) the place is no good for hot weather veggies. skip the peppers, the
eggplants, okra, melons, watermelons. I am of two minds about tomatoes.
They will probably ripen, but it is the late season ones that have a
glorious taste. If your site does not give you 8+ weeks of 80+ weather,
skip the toms as well.

2) pile on with the cool weather veggies. Green beans, cukes, winter
squash, any conceivable greens, onions, carrots, beets, peas, favas.
Pick the best tasting varieties, i.e. Hubbard or butternut squash, Blue
Lake beans, round-tipped carrots, etc. Territorial Seeds has a great
selection for the Northwest.

3) lay down the manure now (two inches if you have clay, 3 if you have
sand), sunny site, don' t plant too early, mulch only after the soil
has warmed, and water regularly during dry spells.