Old 25-01-2006, 08:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Siouxzi

Default Planting figs and muscadines

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:22:47 +0000 (UTC), Steve
wrote:

In article ,
Siouxzi wrote:
I am excited about planting a traditional Celeste, and couple
varieties of large green figs--I enjoyed these when I lived in the
Mediterranean, and I'm hoping that these will have the same fantastic
flavor and texture. I also am nuts about those big black muscadines,

What are the other varieties you're planting? And will they be
pollinated in this area? A number of figs are only pollinated by a
certain wasp so won't produce fruit if grown in an area without the
wasps. I have Celeste and Brown Turkey figs and will likely add a
couple more this spring.

I've ordered a Celeste, Alma gold, and Conadria---another green
Meditteranean type. I've not heard of the pollination issue--I presume
that all these varieties flower and fruit up in VA where they've been
tested and propagated... but if you're not sure, just ask them at
Paradise. They're very helpful. Good luck, and maybe we can compare
notes--and figs--later!

Sybil told me to add lots of lime--maybe that will bring my Brown
Turkey back to fruition.

Sue