Old 21-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Hussein M.

Default A partner for the Hippophae rhamnoides

Hi.

Hi,

I'm really into growing plants which produce edible fruits and
wondered how in earth I would be able to find a partner for the
Hippophae rhamnoides*which is monoecious? (Izzadaword?)

The last time I asked a nursery whether they knew the sex of the
plants they were selling, I had received a lot of head scratching.

I bit the bullet the other night knowing that I soon as I had sex'ed
the Hippophae (this last autumn newly bought - and seemingly one of
the first shrubs to fill its buds this spring) - I would be looking
for a partner for it.

A cunning Google found this nursery which offers not only sexed
cultivars of Hippophae but also a few other rather wonderful fruit and
nut case shrubs which I wish I had known about earlier. So why did I
buy the Japanese quince Chaenomeles speciosa instead of the Cydonia
oblonga? Drat!

Hussein
Oh - the link
http://website.lineone.net/~clive_simms/