Old 25-01-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bigjon

Default heating cable - joints etc

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:44:55 -0000, Michael Savage wrote:

Hi

I finally got round to cutting the 26m heating cable I was given a couple of
years ago into more suitable lengths for my 2 small home made propagators
(subject of a previous post at that time). However, rather than the single
core I was expecting to see I found a thin wire core and a outer sheath. How
do I connect these back to a mains cable?

Michael S

Normally in a simple circuit, one end of the thin core to live and one to
neutral, but you MUST include a fused or circuit-breaker switch as well.

Cutting into shorter lengths might have seemed a good idea, but you really
want a fair length as the resistance will be lowered in a shorter cable,
and could lead to meltdown or just continual fuse blowing.

There should be a manufacturer or at least a serial code stamped on the
cable somewhere - use it in Google to find optimum length's etc...

--
(\__/)