Old 26-01-2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

Default Tulip bulbs

On 2006-01-25 13:49:39 -0500, zxcvbob said:

Madgardener's post is a good lead-in to my question. :-)

I bought a huge bag of fancyish tulip bulbs on clearance in late
November because the weather had been warmer than usual and the ground
was still soft. Well, the very night that I bought them the
temperature plunged and the ground froze. The bulbs are still in the
bag in my basement. The weather has been unseasonably warm the whole
month of January, but still below freezing.

Is it worth refrigerating the bulbs and then planting them at the first
thaw in spring? Or should I plant them now in a huge pot and sit it
out in the garage (where it will take a *long* time to freeze if the
weather holds.) Or should I throw them away? I only paid a couple of
dollars for 70 bulbs, but I hate to throw *anything* out. (you should
see my basement)

Thanks,
Bob

If the ground is workable plant them now.