Old 26-01-2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
KB2SMS

Default Tulip bulbs

On 2006-01-25 13:49:39 -0500, zxcvbob said:

Madgardener's post is a good lead-in to my question. :-)

I bought a huge bag of fancyish tulip bulbs on clearance in late November
because the weather had been warmer than usual and the ground was still
soft. Well, the very night that I bought them the temperature plunged
and the ground froze. The bulbs are still in the bag in my basement.
The weather has been unseasonably warm the whole month of January, but
still below freezing.

Is it worth refrigerating the bulbs and then planting them at the first
thaw in spring? Or should I plant them now in a huge pot and sit it out
in the garage (where it will take a *long* time to freeze if the weather
holds.) Or should I throw them away? I only paid a couple of dollars
for 70 bulbs, but I hate to throw *anything* out. (you should see my
basement)

Thanks,
Bob

If the ground is workable plant them now.

I start my weed plants indoors.