Old 26-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline
Registered User

Default 'Roundup' - risk of collateral damage?

Hi all. New boy here.

Last summer, my roses (Rosa Rogosa and Gloire de Dijon), as well as my Pyracantha were totally engulfed in bindweed. It wrapped itself tightly around the stems; I'd been cutting the stuff away, but left it for a month or so and the next time I looked all I could see was the bindweed.

Q: Is is possible to apply "Roundup" weed killer (B&Q) to the bindweed with zero danger to the roses and Pyracantha in view of their close proximity? I'm a complete novice, but assume that the bindweed roots might be wrapped around those of the roses and Pyracantha. The last thing I want to risk is killing the roses and Pyracantha as they've been grown as security plants and have taken 3 years to get this far. Is it at all feasible to apply the Roundup to a bindweed leaf as the stuff emerges from the ground and it just surgically 'take out' the the weed only?

Stormin'