Old 26-01-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

Default lily beetles

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:35:07 -0800, bugzgrl wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am an entomologist (bug scientist) interesting in tracking the spread of
a nasty ornamental lily pest called the lily leaf beetle (or scarlet lily
beetle). It's a small (5-8mm) bright red beetle with black legs, head and
antennae. There are no spots or markings on the red body. If anyone,
particularly in Canada or the U.S.A., has spotted this critter in their
garden in the past, I would greatly appreciate some information: your
location (city, state/province, postal/zip code) and the year that you
found it. Feel free to include any tidbits of info (for example, the
species you found it on) that you think might be useful.
I plan to present some information about this pest at the North American
Lily Society meeting in Edmonton and would like to have some recent
statistics to accompany the talk. I recently completed my M.Sc. thesis
about the lily beetle at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. If
anyone has any sightings to report, or has any questions regarding the
beetle or my work, please contact me at .
Thanking you in advance,
Crystal Ernst

Good day Crystal, you may want to contact the Entomological Society of
Ontario. Tim Haye of Christian-Albrechts University released a paper on
the biological control of Lilioceris lilii and you may get lucky and get
access to an up to date distribution map. At the very least they should be
able to point you in the right direction.
http://www.entsocont.com/

The University of Rhode Island has done a lot of work on Lilioceris lilii
and they may have a map also. Well worth your time to contact them and see
what they have.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com