Old 26-01-2006, 03:54 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Siouxzi

Default Planting figs and muscadines

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Steve
wrote:

All three of those should be fine in terms of pollination. I think Alma
and Conadria a hybrids developed in the southeast US. It's the Smyrna
type figs which need the wasp. These are the ones grown around the
Mediterranean or in California.

Well dang. Those are probably just the kind of figs I fell in love
with in Turkey--they were all around Izmir (ancient Smyrna) and Efes
(Ephesus), and other spots along the Aegean. I can only hope that the
ones I am planting will approach those in size and taste because they
were ambrosia.

Don't go overboard with the lime. The pH should be around 6.0.

OK, thanks. I've only every applied lime with a lawn spreader, and
even then didn't know what I was doing (though it came out all right).
Any tips for spreading and testing it around my trees? Do I need to
get some pH strips? The area is surrounded with giant loblolly pines
and some hardwoods, and I know the soil is quite acid. The azaleas
thrive.
I've got some gardening soil to fill the hole with when I plan the new
figs.

Sue