Old 26-01-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

Default A happy surprise.....

"Klara" wrote in message
writes
I have experimented on this idea with bagged bulbs throughout the years
since this first happened 13 years ago, and I have the same reaction. Not
with narcissus bulbs. Or tulips. Only hyacinth bulbs. And as a last test,
did it with my Woodstock hyacinth bulbs last year and got the same
reaction.

Did you ever try it with bulbs from the ground, not from the store?

I've never had the opportunity to be either given or get hyacinth bulbs from
the ground. They've always been purchased. Kinda makes me wonder if the
thought that it's the stuff they dust the hyacinth bulbs is the culprit.
But then again, why would Maggie have known it was the hyacinth bulbs that
had caused me the intense itch and red swelling if someone else hadn't been
similarly affected? just one of those gardening mysteries I suppose. And
to let all ya'll know..........in just ONE DAY, there are tiny little ROOTS
coming off the bottom of the bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! (at this rate, I might
have FLOWERS by the middle of February!!)
madgardener

--
Klara, Gatwick basin