Old 26-01-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default 'Roundup' - risk of collateral damage?

"insanite" wrote
Firstly if you pull up the bindweed root, it should look like a long
creamy\whitish fairly flexible root, try and get as mich of it out as
possible, sadly if you pull it out and a bit breaks of it will come
back again.
Secondly, sure you could use round up but if it is wrapped around your
plants I would advise not useing roundup especially if you are using a
sprayer.

snip

I think Stormin' would be on a hiding to nothing trying to pull out roots
of bindweed - they're so invasive and brittle that it's just about
impossible to dig them all out completely. Glyphosate does the trick
though. I managed last year to get rid of some bindweed in a similar
situation among shrubs and perennials by painting Roundup onto the young
shoots with an old 1'' paintbrush. Where the weed is right in among other
roots or stems one way to do this is to unwind the pieces you can reach and
retrain them outwards/upwards onto a cane or stake. Leave a short while to
grow until it's clear of its neighbours, then you can treat safely without
risking your prize specimens. Good luck!

--
Sue